Module: Creating a Portal
Smartsheet is 3rd party software used to manage the governance registers within the Project Portal, e.g. project risks, issues and schedule.
1. Create Workspaces
Workspaces are a collection of worksheets. A workspace is permissioned to users, granting access to all worksheets in the collection. A project can have any number of different worksheets/workspaces, however, the worksheets visible in the Portal UI is defined by the Layout used. You cannot change the portal layout, however, you can submit a support request to the SolutionTrac team to configure a new layout for a small additional fee.
Create 3 workspaces with naming:
- [ClientCode][ProjectCode] - External Edit
- [ClientCode][ProjectCode] - External View
- [ClientCode][ProjectCode] - Internal Edit
Example: ABC SFPMGEC - External Edit
The process to create the Workspaces is indicated below:
- Log into Smartsheet
- Click the Home tab, to the left of your sheet tabs
- Click the Create New button above the Favorites section in the left sidebar and select Workspace.
- Enter a name for the workspace and then click OK.
2. Create Worksheets within the Workspaces
The process to create the Worksheets is indicated below:
- Click the Home tab at the top.
- Click the name of the Workspace in the left sidebar (example: ABC SFPMGEC - External Edit).
- Click Create New at the top of the page to create a new Smartsheet item
- Rename the each new smartsheet with [ClientCode][ProjectCode] removing the words TEMPLATE/Generic (example. ABC SFPMEC Test Plan).
3. Add Workspace/Worksheet permissions
Permissions for the workspace can vary from Admin, Viewer, Editor-can share or Editor-cannot share. A user can only view workspaces or worksheets that have been shared with them. Access to the worksheets is provided based on the Access Type mentioned in the Project Portal - Request Form. Ensure you share the workspace, but do not send the email.
The process to add permissions is indicated below:
- Click the Home tab.
- Right-click the name of the workspace in the left sidebar and select Share.
- In the Invite Collaborators field at the top, type in the email address(es) of the people or groups you want to share the workspace with. Separate multiple email addresses with a comma or semicolon.
- Select a Permissions level for all items in the workspace
- Click the Share Workspace button
4. Add Alerts
Alerts are automatic emails that are sent when changes are made to a sheet. Create a new alerts to receive these types of emails, which include the information that has changed (with changed data highlighted) and the names of the collaborators who made the changes. Changes to attachments, sharing, and discussions are also listed below the grid.
The process to create alerts is indicated below:
- To get started, click the Alerts tab at the bottom of the sheet. The alerts form appears listing existing editable alerts.
- Click New Notification. By default, the Notification email will be sent only to yourself, once a day, listing all changes made to the sheet by other collaborators. Each underlined phrase can be modified.
- Click the first link in the alert (me) to edit to whom it is sent. You can opt to have it sent to all collaborators, certain collaborators you select, or just yourself.
- Click the second link in the alert (once a day) to edit the frequency it is sent. You have four choices as to when these alert are sent: right away (within 5 minutes of change), once an hour, once a day (between 12am-5am based on timezone) or once a week (each Friday between 12am-5am based on timezone).
- Click the third link in the alert (anything) to select what type of changes will trigger an email. You can alter this to be notified only on changes made to certain columns, to attachments, sharing settings, and/or discussions.
Points to Note
- Access to Smartsheet- Smartsheet is a subscription-based service, so your access will depend on whether your company has a license, but everyone can be a free collaborator! When you log into Smartsheet for the first time, you will automatically commence a 30 day trial. If you create a sheet (or sheets) in your trial that you’d like to keep, you’ll need to request a licence or transfer the ownership to a user with a licence. For more information please visit: http://help.smartsheet.com/customer/portal/articles/529590
- The Portal Administrator in your organisation must have a paid Smartsheet account in order to create Workspaces and Worksheets for Portals that are created for your projects. Others in your organisation can be free Collaborators.
- All items that you create will be saved to the workspace and made available to all collaborators who are shared to the workspace. The collaborators will have the exact same view of the workspace, including the folder structure and sheets it contains, from their Home tab that you have.
- Use the same object naming standards that you use in SolutionTrac so users can easily identify the right Workspaces.
- Smartsheet Data Security - Smartsheet has numerous data security features that secure all information within the worksheets. These include; data encryption, internal security, multi-layer data access permissions ad third-party assessment requirements to conform to security policy and procedures
- Smartsheet User Security - Global security controls to manage and audit access, ownership and usage, different user permissions, audit trails showing who has made every sheet change, authentication and single sign-on,
- Refer to www.Smartsheet.com for further information.
Need more Help?
- Review the Knowledge Base articles at Inside SolutionTrac http://inside.solutiontrac.net/category/4/knowledge-base
- Join the Inside SolutionTrac Community
- Log a support ticket.
- Links to support are on the SolutionTrac log-in page and landing page.
- Click on the Help! tab on any page of the Inside SolutionTrac site.